Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fashion Victims...



I woke up the other day with one furry body curled up in the small of my back, and yet another curled up on my chest 'neath the blankets, her head alongside my own resting on the pillow (for a chihuahua she seems to take up more space on my bed than I do), both were attempting to keep themselves away from the arctic chill filtering through my bedroom window.
 I groggily leaped to my knees and crawled to the window and bundled the pair in my comforter-- I knew things were bad when my Klee-Kai, Marley was shivering under her two heavy, natural coats.
I dragged myself to the bathroom and closed my bedroom door behind me, turning up the heat for the pair as I brushed my teeth.  I could hear my chihuahua screaming through my morning routine, she hates to be more than two-steps away from me (it's simultaneously flattering and annoying, to be honest).
Since this is their first year here (well, I purchased Marley in Minnesota when I lived here years ago, but we didn't last long-- returning to Colorado perhaps a year thereafter)-- braving the tundra is already proving to be difficult, for my chihuahua (Brodie), especially (I bought her in Colorado, but she has spent the majority of her five-years in Las Vegas).  There's been nary a flake on the ground and getting her outside is something of a process:
First, I have to funnel her into a turtle-neck looking thing. Then, I have to wrap her in a heavier velcro-style jacket, and thread her leash through a microscopic hole-- lastly I am charged with the task of pulling a hood about her Yoda-sized ears.  Throughout the process she goes limp, like a toddler in the mall.
As I gaze down at my handiwork each day I shake my head, annoyed at the hideous ensemble that functions less as a jacket than a vest, and is covered in ridiculous bones.  I suppose it acts as a windbreaker and keeps her dry, but not much else.
 I've spent countless hours attempting to find more functional "dog-clothes" in a less hideous style, for a reasonable price.  But, ha!  It'd be easier to find the proverbial "needle in the haystack" and sew her an outfit with the surrounding straw.

My simultaneous guilt and disgust that day gave me an epiphany:  "Doggy-Couture" that suits an area like Minnesota, that would donate (in large) the proceeds to a plethora of animal charities!!
After initially relocating to a more rural area of Minnesota, I remember being appalled at the amount of farmers that would leave their dogs outside, tied to a stake year-round, despite blistering heat and sub-zero temperatures.     (Not that the likes of Las Vegas is immune-- they were rife with dog-fighters and elderly pet-hoarders.)  Not to mention, I have always wanted to be able to do something that would tie me to some of the larger organizations that aid in ceasing some of the more desperate situations our four-legged friends find themselves trapped in...without my dogs, I don't know where I'd be?  Less fulfilled, certainly, and there's always a market in the world of puppy-fashions.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those ladies that dresses my pets 365-days a year-- when it's warranted, Brodie wears clothing-- she is one built for warmer climates-- a chihuahua is at least 50% exposed, bare skin.  But, there are those that do-- thus, there is a market-- and the funds are sorely needed.)
My company could tie itself to both local and international organizations-- even creating fashions to be used in and given out by shelters when sending critters to their happy homes.  And it would be less "clown-apparel"-- more inspired by current designers of our time.  There's no reason for Fido to look more ridiculous than he has to.

I became more steadfast in my resolve after viewing a clip on YouTube.  It was graphic and heart-wrenching, and it spoke precisely to what I aim to halt.  After viewing this piece I held my babies a little tighter, dreaming of a day when their "brothers" would become free from their perpetual bondage-- suffering at the hands of those I regrettably must call my own kind.

I am including the clip, if for nothing else, to bring awareness to that which I aim to help...if not eradicate,at least alter.  But I urge you-- it is graphic, as I mentioned-- it had me in tears.  Don't watch the clip if you have a soft heart or a weak stomach.
Here's to beginning the great fight, this is for the voiceless-- (I'd rather they be "fashion victims", than the victims they are--in the truest sense):




3 comments:

  1. This is a great business, and I like how you open here with the story of your own dog and the issues with keeping her (him?) warm. I can't wait to see how you promote this business in future weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that video is graphic and really helps explain how you feel on the matter. I don't think many people realize how many animals are being abused today. I think your business is a great idea! keep it up!

    ReplyDelete